Part of the fun of making jelly is locating the fruit trees and bushes. As mentioned on an earlier post Spring is a good time to find potential fruit trees and bushes because the flowers make the plant stand out from the otherwise mostly brown woods. So this weekend I found that dewberry bushes, Mexican plum, and Mexican Persimmon were in bloom. On careful examination of the dewberry photo please note that the berries are already forming. Promises to be a great year. On researching the sale of dewberries, I found that they sell for $10 a quart in the Houston area. Considering all the prickles it probably is a great price! 🙂 In fact, I probably spent that much on gas just looking for different areas to pick fruit in. But, if truth be known, I was having a great time.
Search this site
CopyrightCopyright Texas Jelly Maker© 2012 All rights reserved.
Top Posts & Pages
- Mustang Grape Jelly and Jam
- Mesquite Bean Jelly
- Dewberries and Mulberries
- Firey Red Hot Chile Pequin Jelly (With Pyracantha and Loquat)
- Cantaloupe Jam
- Texas Persimmon
- Serrano Jelly or Some like it HOT! jelly
- Texas Jelly Maker (About)
- Jujube Butter or Jujube Sauce
- Loquat Jelly, Loquat Sauce, and Loquat Empanadas
- 201,037 hits